The mission of Age Friendly Jackson Hole (AFJH) is to ensure and enhance accessibility and inclusivity of older adults & people of all ages and abilities in all aspects of life in Jackson Hole.
As an outgrowth of the Community Needs Assessment focus groups, a meeting of interested individuals gathered in September 2014 to discuss how “age friendly” our community is. Discussions began with identifying the need for a “voice” for concerns.
Meetings are held from 4-5 pm the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Senior Center of Jackson Hole, 830 E Hansen Ave. Meetings are open to the public and newcomers are welcome.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO DATE
- Collaboration and discussion with other organizations about age friendly concepts. Organizations include Pathways, Friends of Pathways, Forest Service, START Bus, Parks & Rec, R Park, Leadership Jackson Hole, Public Arts, Univ. of Wyoming Extension, Chamber of Commerce, AARP, etc
- Collaboration with St. John’s Medical Center and Teton County Library for presentations on winter safety, fall prevention, and safe foot wear
- Life Well Lived educational series with St. John’s Wellness Dept. and Senior Center
- Piloted a program to provide ski poles to help safely cross icy streets
- Distribution of the World Health Organization Checklist for age friendly communities on 8 Domains of Livability
- Designed a user friendly transportation information sheet
- Advocated with Univ. of Wyoming Extension office to create raised beds for senior use in May Park community gardens.
- Ongoing collaboration with Parks and Recreation about the development of May Park.
- Provided input on age friendly bench design & identification of locations for benches to be installed
- Mapping of location & condition of public & private handicapped parking spaces in Jackson
- Requested additional public handicapped parking spaces from Town & identified potential locations
- Obtained support from the Town Council and Teton County Commissioners with the Town & County designated as an AARP Livable Community as an affiliate of the World Health Organization Network of Livable Communities in May 2017.
Pedestrian – Pathways/Safe Crossings/Benches
Find more information on handicap parking click here.
For a map of handicapped spaces in the Town of Jackson, click here.
May Park – Wellness Garden click here.
For more information, please attend an Age Friendly Jackson Hole meeting or contact co-chairs Becky Zaist and Jean Day through the Senior Center 733-7300, [email protected].