The mission of Age Friendly Jackson Hole (AFJH) is to ensure and enhance accessibility and inclusivity of older adults & people of all ages and abilities in all aspects of life in Jackson Hole.
As an outgrowth of the Community Needs Assessment focus groups, a meeting of interested individuals gathered in September 2014 to discuss how “age friendly” our community is. Discussions began with identifying the need for a “voice” for concerns.
Meetings are held from 4-5pm the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Senior Center of Jackson Hole, 830 E Hansen Ave. Meetings are open to the public and newcomers are welcome.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO DATE
- Collaboration and discussion with other organizations about age friendly concepts. Organizations include Pathways, Friends of Pathways, Forest Service, START Bus, Parks & Rec, R Park, Leadership Jackson Hole, Public Arts, Univ. of Wyoming Extension, Chamber of Commerce, AARP, etc
- Collaboration with St. John’s Medical Center and Teton County Library for presentations on winter safety, fall prevention, and safe foot wear
- Life Well Lived educational series with St. John’s Wellness Dept. and Senior Center
- Piloted a program to provide ski poles to help safely cross icy streets
- Distribution of the World Health Organization Checklist for age friendly communities on 8 Domains of Livability
- Designed a user friendly transportation information sheet
- Advocated with Univ. of Wyoming Extension office to create raised beds for senior use in May Park community gardens.
- Ongoing collaboration with Parks and Recreation about the development of May Park.
- Provided input on age friendly bench design & identification of locations for benches to be installed
- Mapping of location & condition of public & private handicapped parking spaces in Jackson
- Requested additional public handicapped parking spaces from Town & identified potential locations
- Obtained support from the Town Council and Teton County Commissioners with the Town & County designated as an AARP Livable Community as an affiliate of the World Health Organization Network of Livable Communities in May 2017.
Accessible Spaces (Vehicle Focus)
Find more information on handicap parking here.
For a map of handicapped spaces in the Town of Jackson, click here.
Pathways/Safe Crossings/Benches (Pedestrian Focus)
May Park – Wellness Garden
For more information, please attend an Age Friendly Jackson Hole meeting or contact co-chairs Becky Zaist and Jean Day through the Senior Center 733-7300, [email protected].